Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Abana!

Yesterday was the last day of Aruna's chemotherapy (for the Burkitt's Lymphoma). We had been telling him all day that this was the last time he had to get an IV, but he didn't seem to be very excited. (I think his mind was still on the IV for the moment.)

This morning, I went in to take out his IV. After finishing, I said, "Aruna, abana." Bambara for "it's finished." He looked back at me and asked, with a face full of question and excitement, "abana?" (Is it really finished?) "Abana," I said. And with a huge smile he yelled, "Abana!"

It was so cute and funny that I went and grabbed Brett. The two of them started a little cheer. Below is a short video clip. (Unfortunately, the blog doesn't allow it to be super clear, but hopefully, you'll enjoy it anyways.)

I sat down with a pastor and Aruna's father yesterday. Brett and I felt like it was important for the father to know that we had done all of this work for Aruna because of our love for the Lord and His command to love others. I explained that to the father (with the pastor translating into Bambara). I told him that he was a great father for always comforting Aruna during his treatments and for bringing him back week after week, even during harvest season. And then I shared with him the thought that God is a Good Father and that He has given us gift. I let the pastor continue on with a short Gospel presentation. When he finished, Aruna's dad responded in a very touching way.

He said that when they came to the hospital, he had already lost all hope for his son. But when he walked onto the hospital, he said he could feel that God's hand was in the place. He said he could see it in the way we cared for his son and in the way our team worked together. He also said that before coming to the hospital, he had never heard of Jesus, since he is from a remote village. We have little radios that play dramatized Bible stories, and he said that he had been listening to those. He concluded with the fact that things were obviously different here and that he really needed to think about it all.

Continue to pray for Aruna and his father, Mumuni.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! A bana! Ala tanu! So glad to hear this good news, and very fun to see the video. :) Praying for Aruna and Mumuni.

    ReplyDelete