I made a decision a few years back to only decorate for
Christmas in intentionally symbolic ways, not for the sake of beauty or for
stirring up nostalgic feelings. This was, of course, an easy decision given the
paucity of my decorating skill and the fact that nostalgic feelings are hard to
stir when you are away from family, snow, and piles of presents by the
fireplace. So, I’ve invested meaning in my tree and lights, in the nativity
scene, and in the candles I’ve spread all throughout the living room. (And
yeah, that’s pretty much all I got…) If you ask me, I can tell you why each of
these things represents some aspect of peace and joy or hope and salvation. To
the skeptic, I grant that my symbolism is based more on a Naria-esque make-believe
allegory than on the actual meanings of these historical traditions, but I’m
just postmodern enough not to care. And besides, I have to have some way to
explain them to my friends…
| You're looking at the entirety of my Christmas decor... |
So there I am, sitting in the dark, looking at the Christmas
tree. It is just about perfect, even if I have had to cram the thing into a
corner, having only enough lights to cover two-thirds of the tree. I snuffed the
candles out half an hour ago, but the scent of vanilla and fake apple pie hangs
in the air. The evaporative cooler is working hard to bring the temperature of
the living room down below 80, and it is just nice enough that I’m thinking
that if I had a fan blowing right on me, I could probably get under a light
blanket.
“A.” comes in and lays down the couch, facing the Christmas
tree. It’s not his first time seeing a
Christmas tree, but it is his first time living in a house where someone sits
in the dark looking at tiny lights, while pretending it’s cold. How do I go
about explaining to someone with no reference for this kind of thing that he is
likely to find me this way quite often over the next month? In a world where
people worship idols made of stuff much less glorious than my plastic tree, how
do I help him understand that I’m not worshiping the tree, all appearances to
the contrary?
So I take a stab at explaining some symbolism to him. “Once
upon a time, trees were lit with candles, but then we started making them out
of plastic, and well, plastic and open flame and fire code being what they are,
we switched to small lights. So back to candles…a candle gives light in the
dark and provides just enough light to see a bit. Hope is like that—just enough light to see.
So that’s why I sit here in front of the tree looking at tiny lights. It makes
me hopeful.” Suffice it to say, that went well. When a few silent moments later,
he says, “Well, it is pretty,” I take that to mean that he’s really grasped the
full symbolic link between Christmas lights and robust Christian hope.
I give up on my attempts to explain symbolism, and we slip
back into silent tree worship. Many
minutes later, I pepper A. with the usual questions: How’s work been? Is his
dad’s last angry tirade still discouraging him? Where does he see God at work?
I get, mostly, the usual answers: Not much work to be had these days. He’s not
discouraged, but not particularly encouraged with life in general. Doesn’t know
how to answer the God question.
At this, we sink back into silence, and I leave behind my
glib reflections on Christmas symbolism and my gentle self-mocking for
confusing A. with my traditions. My thoughts go serious, and I’m left with
tough questions. What does hope look for someone like A.? He works hard as an
apprentice to a mechanic, and he wants to learn more, but they simply don’t
find enough work in the day to keep them busy and well paid. His father refuses
to believe that A. makes no money and regularly insults him. How does hope lead
him forward, when it appears the odds, and his family, are stacked against him?
| What does hope look like for these guys? |
Many moments later, A. pierces my silent thoughts with this
statement, “You know, before you started praying for me every day, I really
didn’t even know how to pray.” He offers no more explanation. I offer a few cursory thoughts on the personal
nature of Christian prayer and relationship to God, and then shortly
thereafter, I turn out the Christmas lights and head to bed.
This Christmas season, I’m reading through the minor
prophets. It’s really uplifting stuff; you should try it. Actually, I started
because to hear NT Wright talk about the minor prophets, they are all pierced
through with glorious beams of hopeful expectation. I won’t say I feel lied to,
but I’ve been finding them a stiff drink of darkness and despair, with the rare
nugget of hopeful longing. They do look the evil and darkness of the world
right in the face, though—the personal evils of sexual immorality, idolatry, and
hatred, as well as the societal evils of war, oppression of the poor, and lack
of defense for the helpless. The
solutions they propose, however, don’t seem to be a match for the
darkness.
In Joel, for example, the shining high note is this promise
of God pouring out His Spirit and making prophets of all sorts of people. I can’t help but wonder, did Joel, a prophet
himself, ever want to say, “We prophets have been prophesying for a long time.
The problem isn’t lack of prophets; the problem is that people aren’t
listening.” Maybe the minor prophets understood hope better than I do, but I
think at times I would have needed to say to God, “The hope you are offering
isn’t enough in the face of this darkness.”
Have you ever been completely swallowed by darkness? On
moonless nights here in West Africa, this can happen easily, but the first time
I ever remember this happening to me was on a drive from Sacramento to Salt
Lake City. A friend and I were driving back from a conference and had decided
to drive through the night. I was working lots of night shifts at the time, so
keeping myself awake wasn’t a problem, but when we hit the Nevada desert with
no other cars on the road and no light to be had for miles around, it felt as
if we’d been completely consumed. Even
the hi-beams on the car didn’t seem to do anything but give us a few feet of
sight in front of the car. I remember there was a stretch of several miles in
which I couldn’t tell whether we were going uphill or downhill because my
perspective of our surroundings was so confused. Our lights were just not
sufficient for the immensity of the darkness.
I suppose coming to grips with the immensity of the darkness
is the first step in understanding what true hope really is. We live with a lot
of false hope in our world these days. Inside the safety of our suburban homes,
with our trees, fires, and piles of presents, we stir up feelings of hope because
everything is going pretty much the way we’d like. This is weak hope that doesn’t
stand up to any serious challenge from the dark. It’s the belief in Santa that
never makes it out of childhood. We need to recover a hope that shines stubbornly
on despite the crushing presence of evil. As long as we hide ourselves from the
reality of the evil in our world, we live with this weak hope and are
susceptible to being crushed under the weight of the next wave of darkness that
catches us by surprise.
What does real hope look like in the face of incurable
disease? In the face of systemic poverty? In the face of terrorism? In the face
of a world that seems to be punishing instead of helping its most vulnerable?
What does real hope have to say to my own darkness? To the voices of
self-critique that suggest that I’m never doing enough? To my own propensity to
quarrel and fight, instead of making peace? To my tendency to stray from the
Lord for things I already know offer no satisfaction?
The minor prophets never provide a complete explanation for their
hope. Instead, they illuminate the next step—return immediately to the Lord--and
they plant the idea that somewhere out there in the darkness the Lord is up to
something that will be a game changer. The reader is left wondering if this is
enough. Can this hold? Can it resist the tide of darkness?
Even on the other side of the nativity, the incarnation, the
crucifixion, and the resurrection, I’m bad at hope. This advent season though,
I want to struggle with this mystery of hope. I want my instinct, when staring
out into the dark, to drive me back to the Lord and wait as somewhere out
there, He sets in motion a transformation, a heavenly invasion of earth. I want
to march all the more boldly into the darkness, holding up a candle of hope. I’ll
wonder if it is enough, but I’ll keep marching.
After all, headlights in the Nevada desert dark seem so
insufficient, and yet they lead you home.
Maybe learning to pray to a personal God is enough to lead
us home. Maybe a world full of Spirit-filled prophets is just the army of
candle-wielding protesters needed to bring down the walls of injustice. Maybe an
innocent baby really is able to best the monsters of this world.
Prayer Requests
1. Pray for A. as he learns to pray. Ask the Lord to speak to his heart this
Christmas season.
2. Pray for a friend Djakari, a new Christian, who
has been having disturbing nighttime visitors that are threatening to harm him.
Pray he’d find victory in Christ.
3. Pray for the many patients we have in our
chronic wound clinic who seem to be making no, or infinitesimally small,
progress in healing. Pray that we can inspire them with hope and find solutions
to their problems.
4. Pray for the variety of outreaches that will
happen during the month of December. Pray also that we can use it as a time to
encourage national pastors in their work and ministry.
5. Pray for a young man named Enoc who works at the
hospital, as he is having some mental health issues.
Beautifully said. Praying for you and your friends. Hugs from Salt Lake. Sandra
ReplyDeleteSuch a timely message, Jake! Thank you! I find myself in your struggles, which you articulate so well. I have been working on letting go of my christmas idols and looking for the reality behind the sparkle- which is hard, because all that glitters is my friend! praying for you and your friends and the reality that you are face to face with that so many of us urban Americans can ignore... Love ya, Dori
ReplyDelete