Well it is Tip of the Week time, but while humor would be a
welcome diversion, it seems a bit incongruous given recent events. I'm not in the States to see the premature
Christmas decorations and listen to the radio stations that have already
started playing non-stop holiday music, so maybe I'm misreading this--but it
seems like instead of Christmas this year, fear is in the air.
So let's talk about fear.
It seems to be a subject I've been studying, talking about, and living
out a lot these past couple months. In
fact, while I was home in September and October, it was the subject of the
message I shared, basing my thoughts on Mark 4, where Jesus calms the storm. That message was more timely than I realized
given the attack in Paris and the events that unfolded here today. (Actually there have been other events here
throughout the last several weeks, but nothing that has called the media
attention like today's ordeal.)
Here we are, in that boat being tossed by the winds and
waves. It is truly a scary time in our
world. Like the disciples we are
panicked by what seems to be a sinking ship, our loss of control and
stability. There are those who, reading
the story in safety and security, would say, "what are you so worked up
about?" but we should remember that the disciples knew a thing or two
about sailing a boat. They knew that the
boat was going down, and so they were right to cry out. While we might have some sensationalized fear
going on, it seems that there are truly some reasons for us to be concerned and
to "cry out" so to speak.
When the disciples wake Jesus up, He calms the storm and
then proceeds to scold them. He asks
them "why are you afraid", and then, "have you still have no
faith?". This question calls to
mind a similar question from earlier in the chapter, when He asked, "Have
you STILL not understood?" Jesus is
trying to get the disciples to understand who they are hanging out with. His answer to fear is His presence, as it is
all throughout Scripture-- every time God says, "Do not be afraid,"
it is always because He is promising His presence.
Now imagine yourself with the disciples. This guy who was just asleep has performed
what can only be an astounding miracle and then turns and scolds you. In the sudden, eerie calm, you are asking
yourself, "WHO is this guy?" and probably, "What have I gotten
myself into?" So you can understand
when Mark says that the disciples were terrified.
Interestingly, when Jesus asks the disciples why they are
"afraid", He uses a word that indicates a cowardly, retreating fear,
but when Mark says that the disciples were "terrified", he uses a
word that means that they were in reverential awe in front of something much
greater than themselves. See, God's
solution to our fear is always to reveal to us His presence, and when we grasp
that--really grasp that--we can't help but be in reverential awe. (And that was my sermon summarized in 5 short
paragraphs. Who heard my sermon and wants
their 30 minutes back??)
There are, however, some unnerving parts of this story. It was JESUS who sent His disciples headlong
into that storm and then decided to go to sleep in the stern. He seems to have driven them into a head-on
collision with their fears. And, instead
of leaving them with an assurance of safety and peace, He leaves them in
terrified awe.
If I was preaching this sermon today (and I am, I suppose),
here's where I'd go with it. Our
reaction to our fear is everything. If
our reaction to fear is cowardly retreat , we get it wrong. If our reaction pushes us to search for
safety and security of our own making, we get it wrong. Jesus doesn't offer that. He offers us His presence, which frankly is
simultaneously more scary and more calming than anything else in this world.
A young friend who is a new believer brought this all into
perspective for me today. He told me
that yesterday he was visiting some (non-believing) friends, and a fortune
teller was present. On leaving, the
fortune teller, unsolicited, turned to my friend and said that he was going to
have problems in his marriage and that he'd better go offer some
sacrifices. My friend laughed it off at
first, but when he got home, his wife told him that she had received news that
her parents wanted to cause some problems for the couple.
He went on to tell me how he refused to give into fear and
instead began praying. I was so impressed
by his reaction, and as we discussed, he recounted the story he had told his
wife to convince her not to react in fear.
Before he was married, he moved to this new house during hot
season. Because of the heat, he was
sleeping outside, but every night he was awakened by a frightening noise coming
from the tree in his yard, and so he would go back into the sweltering house
and barely sleep. Finally one night, he
decided that he was not going to go back inside. So when he woke up at 1 am to the noise, he
began to pray, fell back to sleep, only to be awoken again. He began to doubt his prayers and debated
going back inside, but decided to bring his Bible out and read aloud. Then he fell asleep and was awoken
again. At his wits end, he asked Jesus
to give him courage; he grabbed a light and went to examine the tree. After looking for a couple minutes, he found
a chicken roosted in the top. He chased
it away and slept peacefully outside for the rest of the hot season.
He used this to convince his wife that the fortune teller's
advice wasn't correct and that prayer was the answer to their problems. I think it is a really interesting analogy
for our lives right now. We are being
woken up from a peaceful sleep. We are
running for safety into our own homes, but we are finding them strangely hot
and uncomfortable, and we aren't getting much sleep. What we really need to do is enter the
presence of the Lord and then go chase the chicken out of the tree.
When we react to fear by entering the Lord's presence, our
problems don't disappear. My friend's
prayers weren't rewarded immediately with a peaceful night of sleep. He had to persist in the presence of the
Lord, and then approach the very thing he was afraid of. So it is with us. God's presence was never a guarantee of
peaceful nights and secure days. Rather
it drives us forward, into the storm that threatens to sink us, and we come out
of it more aware of His presence and power.
And if Mark is any indication, it brings us exactly to the people that
need a deep healing that only our Jesus can give.
In Mark, that is the demon-possessed man. Who is that in our day? Yeah, you knew it was coming: The people whom
we most fear.
Here's where I'm going to be a bit pointed. (So if you were
only going for feel-good, it is time exit the train.) Maybe you are thinking, "Nice
spiritual story, but you haven't convinced me in the least that we should be
allowing refugees into my country. This
terrorism thing is a whole lot more serious than a chicken in a tree."
I agree, it is a whole lot more serious and a lot harder to
chase away. There are many ways to
respond to this. I could talk about the
process that refugees go through before coming to the States--a process so arduous
that ISIS can surely find an easier point of entry (and will, even if we cut
off refugees today). I could ask you all
to go make friends with a refugee family in your community, sit in their living
room while they show you a humbling hospitality, cry tears as you hear their
stories, and then ask yourself if these are the people you really want to see
punished for the actions of ISIS and its ilk.
But, tonight I'm going to suggest to you a way to practically fight
terrorism.
The first thing I'm going to do is to ask you to widen your
category. When we hear "terrorist"
today, we imagine turbaned, jihadists.
That isn't incorrect, but I think we'd all have to agree that there are
a lot of other people wreaking terror in our lives by shooting up schools,
malls, and movie theaters. If we
consider all those scary individuals as one big group of people, who for
various motivations are creating fear in our society, I think it might be more
clear to us where we (you and me, ordinary, everyday people) need to go.
Now, I'm not a criminal psychologist, and I won't pretend to
be one tonight. However, one of the
things I've learned by living in a country beleaguered by a terrorism problem is
that it takes a whole set of conditions to produce a suicide shooter or bomber. Imagine, that I came to you and offered you a
ton of money to go shoot up a mall and likely die in the process. Would you do it? No?
Huh... What if I told you that everyone you would be shooting was a
Satanist that was sacrificing children and that it was your Christian duty to
do this? Still no? Hmmm...
Not to be too simplistic, but it is the same here. Money, religious conviction, and even biases
against people aren't strong enough in and of themselves to produce a
terrorist. That requires another layer
of something more potent like mental illness, or repeated exposure to radical
teaching (brainwashing), or a total lack of other hope.
Revisit the questions I've posed above and imagine asking
them to someone who is suffering from severe mental illness. Suddenly it is possible (and it is what we've
seen). Imagine you ask that of young man
who has watched his whole life as his family has been mistreated and has just
barely eked out a living; he sees no hope for his future. Yeah, scarily possible. Imagine you take someone who has been bullied
into being a loner, who suffers with a weight of anger and bitterness that he
can show to no one, and then who stumbles onto a website that teaches him to
direct that anger to a certain people group.
Again, suddenly very possible.
So yeah, these are exactly the people Jesus is sending us
to. He's taking us right through the
storm so that we can land and heal those tormented by demons.
You want to fight terrorism?
Go find the loner, the tormented soul, the mentally ill and love them in
real and practical ways. Come alongside
youth who have no hope for the future and relieve their suffering. Befriend the refugee family next to you, show
them some hospitality, and make sure that their kids adapt to their new,
complicated life.
You want to increase terrorism in our world exponentially?
Close our door to refugees and leave thousands of youth in the hell-hole that
is Syria, Iraq, the Sahel, Burma, and Palestine. If we don't open our door, I promise you,
ISIS will. They won't need refugee
status to come get us, they'll have waves of youth they can hurl at us from all
directions.
Time to grab your flashlight, ask Jesus to help you, and with
fear and trembling, go chase that stinking chicken out of the tree.
Thanks for the reminder of God's great plan! We are part of His plan.
ReplyDeleteBarbara
Amazing post, Jake!! Very well said and very convicting.
ReplyDeleteWow!!! Thank you for that eye opening story!
ReplyDeleteJake, I feel so blessed to be able to say we are part of the same family. You are amazing! I definitely appreciate all you put into this post - no grammar errors that I noticed (that always demotes any message I read), a use of logic that makes your point without attacking those of us who might be wavering with a different point of view, and, of course, showing us how to tie it all in to God's word/His plan for us and this old world. Thanks for taking time to help us see how to view this issue in a God-honoring way in spite of our fears. Prayers for you and your community.
ReplyDelete