Saturday, November 28, 2015

My Unusual Thanksgivings

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends this week.  A small group of us celebrated together yesterday, and it was very enjoyable.  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to celebrate the many unusual reasons for gratitude that life here affords.  So in no particular order, I present to you my unique thanksgivings:

1. My day guard (yes, I have a day guard...no it is not as cool as it sounds) is mostly deaf, and I have reason to believe his sight is going.  I always have to open my gate by myself because, well, he never hears me coming. He is cheerful on approximately the same level as Will Ferrel's Elf.  I'm not sure I've ever seen him have a bad day.  Sometimes that cheer is a little more than I can swallow first thing in the morning, but it has grown on me.  Speaking of mornings, he listens to his radio so loud (I'm sure he can barely hear it) I often wake up to it.  Despite all the quirks, he regularly puts a smile on my face and gives me a story to tell.  And a good story is always something to be thankful for.

2. I'm thankful for the body's ability to adjust to extreme heat.  This is what keeps me alive, just barely, during hot season, but even better, it is what allows me to enjoy the "cold" season.  As the nights slip down into the low 70's, I pull my down comforter over me, imagine snow falling outside, and sleep like a rock.  This is, after all, the closest I feel I need to get to winter.

3. The lack of anything worth watching on TV suits me just fine.  It is one less draw in a schedule that is already overbooked.  I've also noticed that it makes watching rerun movies, like Princess Bride, and Youtube clips of Jimmy Fallon all the funnier.  So loads of gratitude to the 2 lousy public channels here for, ironically, keeping my life more entertaining.

4.  I'm thankful for coworkers that speak all the same languages as me, so that when I inadvertently mix my sentences, they just nod in understanding.  They are also not judgmental when you look at them in genuine confusion and say, "How DO you say that in English?" As one teammate once said, "I used to think becoming trilingual made you really smart.  Now I understand that it just means that you speak no language well."

5. The existence of salad is something I never dreamed of being thankful for before. However, if it weren't for salad, and people's sense of obligation to have it present at every meal, I'd actually have to cook when my team has a potluck.  Instead, they look at me, the lone single guy, and say, "Uh, Jake, could you possibly bring salad?" Well, it is a real stretch, but I'll see what I can do.

6. I'm especially thankful for blog readers like you who put up with ma folie... err... my foolishness.

Prayer Requests:

1. Continue to pray for the security situation here.  We are currently feeling secure and have proper plans in place in case of some crisis.  However, we'd love to work and minister in freedom without having to worry.  Also, we see how this situation discourages our national brothers and sisters.

2. Pray for our team as we enter the Christmas season.  It is a busy time for us and also a time for many outreaches in different forms.  Pray that the Lord would use our different events very strategically.

3. Several different families are considering joining our team.  Pray that the Lord would make His will known to them and to us regarding this.  We'd love to have them all, but we really want the Lord to lead in this process.

4. My men's Bible Study continues to go well.  The trust level is growing, which is allowing for even better conversation.  Pray that the Lord would continue to encourage these men to be real examples and leaders in their workplace (i.e. the hospital).


5. Early in December, we have a big meeting scheduled with leaders from both sides of the nearby border to discuss strategy in church planting.  Please pray for this meeting to go well, for the Lord to guide everyone in His wisdom, and for a resulting cooperation between these churches that then gives church growth in this strategic area.

No comments:

Post a Comment